Tawang is the district headquarters spread over an area of approximately 2085 square kilometers. It is bordered by Tibet (China) in the North, Bhutan in the South - West and Sela ranges separate West Kameng district in the East. The highest peak is Gorithan 6858 Meters and is nearly 164 kilometers. With 5 major river the Kameng, the Subansari, the Siang, the Lohit and the Tirap. There are mountains, deep valleys, waterfalls and a few lakes, it is ideal for trekking and hiking. Other places of visit are a nearly 400 year old Buddhist Monastery / Gompa, it was founded by the Mera Lama Lodre Gyasto as per the wishes of the 5th Dalai Lama, Nagwang Lobsang Gyatso, The Tawang monastery of the Gelugpa sect is the largest monastery in India. Tawang was a centre of Tantric religion. The monastery is also known as the Galden Namgyal Lhatse. One can also visit the local craft centre display / sells very fine woolen carpets of colourful designs and masks. The beauty of Tawang is the century old monastery against the dramatic setting of the snow peak mountains and the alpine surroundings. Sela pass (13,714 feet) is also a great excursion from here. A memorial known as Jaswantgarh is also nearby. The Taktsang monastery is 45 kilometers, the Brahma dungchung Ani gompa is 12 kilometers and Gyaganga Ani gompa is nearly 5 kilometers from Tawang and are worth visiting. The 12th Century Gorsam Chorten is 92 kilometers from Tawang is the largest in the area.
- Tawang Monastery (2 kilometers)
- P.T. Tso Lake (17 kilometers)
- Sela Pass (92 kilometers)
- Banggangjang Lake (101 kilometers)
- Craft center
- By Air – Two nearest airport are Tawang Helipad and Salonbari in Tezpur is 360 kilometers. The state's airports are located at Daparjio, Ziro, Along, Tezu and Pasighat. However, owing to the rough terrain, these airports are mostly small and cannot handle many flights. One can reach Tawang from Guwahati and Tezpur in Assam.
- By Rail – Nearest railway station are Bhalukpong is 298 kilometers and Rangapara North is 350 kilometers. A 12 kilometers railway line has been constructed from Bilpara to Bhalukpong. Some other projects for extension of rail communications are in the offing.
- By Road – Tawang is 585 kilometers from Itanagar and the nearest bus terminus is Bomdila. One can reach Tawang from Bomdila or from Tezpur by bus. . Buses and Taxi ply regularly from Bombdila to Tawang which is 180 kilometers and takes nearly10 hours. One can reach Tawang from other parts of the country via Guwahati and Tezpur in Assam. From Guwahati or Tezpur, one has to go to Bhalukpong in West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh and from there via Bomdila and Sela Pass one can reach Tawang by road. Two major highway are the 336 kilometer National Highway 52, connects Jonai with Dirak. Another highway connects Tezpur in Assam with Tawang. All the places are connected to Assam. Each town has got its own bus station and daily bus services are available. Private vehicles are also available.