Itanagar is spread over an area of 2,500 acres with lovely climate. Perched on top of low flat hills, it offers a serene ambience. The capital city is divided into two parts - each 10 kilometers. The old one named Naharlagun. It is a well - planned town being cradled between two hills, the Governor's residence on one and a Buddhist temple on the other. Most of the buildings light, wooden - framed and earthquake - proof structures. The Buddhist temple, consecrated by the Dalai Lama is a beautiful shrine, reflects the extensive Tibetan influence and provides good views of Itanagar and its surrounding. There is a significant influence of Tibetan Buddhist culture in Itanagar. In fact there are many beautiful places in Arunachal Pradesh that can be approached from Itanagar. River rafting can also be undertaken in nearby places like Kameng, Subansiri, Siang and Dibang.
- Jawaharlal Nehru State Museum
- Ita Fort
- The Buddhist Temple
- River rafting at Siang.
- Paschin Lake (Fishing and birding)
- Gayker Sinyi
- Polo Park
- Itanagar Sanctuary
- By Air – The nearest airport is Lilabari in Assam, 57 kilometers from Naharlagun and 67 kilometers from Itanagar. Lilabari is a small airport and flights operate only from a few destinations. Another airport is at Tezpur. Indian Airlines provides regular flights from Calcutta to both the places. The drive from Guwahati to Itanagar is 360 kilometers and takes around 8 hours.
- By Rail – The major Railway Station is North Lakhimpur in Assam, which is only 50 kilometers from Naharlagun and 60 kilometers from Itanagar. Nearest Railway station is Harrmoty in Assam. 23 kilometers from Naharlagun and 33 kilometers from ltanagar. The station is served by Arunachal Express.
- By Road – Itanagar is connected with other major towns in the region such as Agartala, Aizawl, Kohima, Guwahati, Imphal, and Shillong by roads. The drive from Guwahati to Itanagar is 360 kilometers and takes around 8 hours. Two major highway are the 336 kilometer National Highway 52, connects Jonai with Dirak. Another highway connects Tezpur in Assam with Tawang. All the places are connected to Assam. Each town has got its own bus station and daily bus services are available. Private vehicles are also available.